Faculty Profile: Jon Amakawa, Game Design Program, Communications Media

Posted by Matt Serafini on May 28, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Fitchburg State University's Game Design program has seen a lot of success in the relatively short time it's been offered. Our continuing "Meet the Faculty" series is happy to introduce Jon Amakawa, from Communications Media.  

Read More

Topics: Faculty, Meet the Faculty

Faculty Profile: Dr. Kyle Moody, Communications Media

Posted by Matt Serafini on April 9, 2015 at 8:30 AM

By now, you might be familiar with the Burg Blog's ongoing "Meet the Faculty" series. This week we're taking a look at comm media's Dr. Kyle Moody. Dr. Moody teaches Message Design, Social Media, and Document Design. Get to know him a little better.

Where did you complete your academic studies?

I received my PhD in Mass Communication from the University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2014. Before that, I earned my Master of Arts in Mass Communication from Miami University in August 2009, and my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Western Kentucky University in May 2006. 

Read More

Topics: Faculty, Meet the Faculty

Faculty Profile: Dr. DeMisty Bellinger-Delfeld, English

Posted by Matt Serafini on March 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM

As part of the Burg Blog's ongoing "Meet the Faculty" series, we invite you to get to know Dr. DeMisty Bellinger-Delfeld. Dr. Bellinger-Delfeld has taught numerous courses in the English Studies program, from Poetry Reading to Creative Writing, and her fiction has appeared in magazines such as WhiskeyPaper and Kalyani Magazine.

Tell us where you completed your academic studies.

I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, and went on to receive my masters in creative writing at Stony Brook Southhampton College in New York. I then received my Ph.D in english, professional writing from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Read More

Topics: Faculty, Meet the Faculty

Faculty Profile: Dr. Catherine Buell, Mathematics

Posted by Matthew Bruun on January 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I completed my undergraduate bachelor of science in mathematics (with minors in dance and computer programming) at Springfield College in 2006. I completed my graduate degrees (both Master of Science and PhD) in mathematics at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C.

What are your research interests?

Read More

Topics: Faculty, Meet the Faculty

Faculty Profile: Dr. Daniel Welsh, Biology & Chemistry

Posted by Matthew Bruun on October 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I received my Bachelor of Science degree from St. Thomas Aquinas College, my master's degree from Bowling Green State University, and my PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 

What are your research interests?

My interests focus on two broad topics of fish biology: adaptation and breeding behavior. These are important topics to study because they are two key aspects when trying to understand how organisms and species persist in their environment.

Read More

Topics: Meet the Faculty

English Professor Awarded $10,000 for Creative Writing Fellowship

Posted by Matthew Bruun on August 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Steven Edwards, english studies assistant professor, was awarded $10,000 from the Massachusetts Cultural Council as one of its 2014 creative writing fellows.

Edwards has been an assistant professor at Fitchburg State since 2011. The award-winning author’s books include the memoir Breaking into the Backcountry (University of Nebraska Press, 2010), which tells the story of his time as the caretaker of a 92-acre homestead along the Rogue National Wild and Scenic River in southwestern Oregon. His writing can be found in recent issues of Orion, Electric Literature, AGNI Online, Terrain.org, and The Good Men Project.

Read More

Topics: Meet the Faculty

Professor Samuel Tobin Publishes Game Design Book

Posted by Matthew Bruun on August 10, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Samuel Tobin, communications media professor, published Portable Play in Everyday Life via Palgrave Pivot in October, 2013. Despite the fact that the Nintendo DS is one of the most popular game systems of all time, theorists have largely ignored it.

In the book, Tobin argues that the reason for this is the DS is literally and figuratively beneath notice, not just by game scholars but its own players as well. Indeed, it is the very “everydayness” of the Nintendo DS and of mobile gaming in general that is invisible yet filled with critical potential.
Read More

Topics: Meet the Faculty

Documenting the Unthinkable: The Boston Marathon Bombing

Posted by Matthew Bruun on July 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The Boston Marathon bombing in April 2013 was a moment we will never forget, and for Katherine Jewell, economics, history and political science professor, it was personal.

Jewell, pushing her 3-year-old son in a stroller, was close enough to the second explosion to feel the blast and smell the smoke. In the tumultuous days that followed, Jewell turned to her training as a historian in an attempt to make sense of the experience, chronicling the details, locations and conversations that erupted from the chaos.

Read More

Topics: Meet the Faculty

Education Professor Recognized with Joel D. Miller Award

Posted by Matthew Bruun on July 1, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Susan Rosa, education professor, was recognized with the Joel D. Miller Award in June at the annual retired educators luncheon, held at Hammond Hall.

The Miller Award was established in 1955 in honor of the state senator and member of the Board of Education, who is considered one of the three founders of the State Normal School in Fitchburg (which was later known, of course, as Fitchburg State). Miller Hall is also named after him. The award is given to an educator who has demonstrated originality in their profession, given unselfish devotion to the profession and exerted an influence for good among their students.

Read More

Topics: Meet the Faculty