Classy Summer Plans

Posted by Seferine Baez on August 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Recently I was talking to Maddie, a fellow Falcon buzzer and good friend. We are inhabiting the land of full time work this summer, as many undergrad students do with their “time off.” For some students, it’s the difference between supporting themselves throughout the semester or attending college at all. So we are both thankful for spending our sunny days indoors, answering phones and emails.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience, Admissions

Confessions of a Summer Tour Guide

Posted by Seferine Baez on June 29, 2017 at 9:57 AM

I was 2 minutes and 45 seconds late to work today. My brisk walk up Highland Ave. from Cedar House has me walk past two “detour” signs and a half dozen construction vehicles placed Tetris-style in the turnaround between Miller and Percival Hall, which, almost poetically, was constructed last summer.

I can’t seem to remember where they parked their cement mixers before that was there.

I’m almost there when the sun peeks out from behind a cloud. Immediately I’m sweating, even in the breathable polos us tour guides are honored to wear. The temperature drops dramatically as I step into Anthony, timecard in hand, and then I’m taking a seat behind the desk where I’ll be until the 11:30 tour.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

Game On In Japan

Posted by Matthew Bruun on April 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Eighteen Fitchburg State students joined faculty members Jon Amakawa and Jeff Warmouth for spring break in Japan, visiting landmarks in Japanese art and game design. The nine-day trip was part of a course on games and arts in Japan, offered through the game design program.

“The trip came together better than I could have imagined,” Amakawa said. “Although short—just nine days—it combined a diverse survey of both contemporary media in Japan in the form of games, manga and anime and traditional arts and culture in Japan.”

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

Welcome to the Student Experience

Posted by Brian Lombardi on September 21, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Welcome to Fitchburg State University! Who am I? I don’t mean that philosophically; there’s enough of that going around. So who am I? My name is Brian, and although that doesn’t mean anything to you, I’m going to continue.

I’m a junior living it up here at Fitchburg State. I am an English Studies major with a concentration in professional writing. I started working with the Burg Blog last year, and it was a nice way to get my feet wet. This blog was really my first official opportunity to write.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

The End Is Nigh

Posted by Brian Lombardi on May 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM

The end is nigh. Why is this girl excited? Because another semester is closing here at Fitchburg State University, and summer is on the horizon.

The campus is blooming and beautiful after what seemed like the longest winter imaginable. Finals are picking the minds of students like guitar strings, but celebrations are around the corner, and more beach time than the clock could possibly count.

What this means is that it’s time to reflect on the semester. I skydived, danced, explored, socialized, laughed, witnessed history, and cheered all semester long at FSU.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

Surprise! It's Spring Week

Posted by Brian Lombardi on April 30, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Spring hasn’t quite sprung, but it’s springing, slowly. No matter the specifics of the season, Fitchburg State’s Spring Week is in full effect. Fitchburg is traveling the world in 7 days, so to speak.

This girl just read about Spring Week-- she's super pumped.

Each day a different culture around the world is represented in some way or another.

Classic Spanish dancing, Roman Gladiators, French mimes, American Barbeques, and etc. There’s a long list of things for students to enjoy in-between their cramming for finals.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

The Woes of my Wallet

Posted by Brian Lombardi on April 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM

College students work like vacuums when it comes bank accounts.

For example: food is wonderful, abundant, and of course costs money.

Money is strange and scarce for the average student.

I’m counting more quarters at twenty than I was at ten—I’m prepared to replace my wallet with couch cushions. I don’t know where it all goes. 

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

Fitchburg Against Violence

Posted by Brian Lombardi on April 16, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Fitchburg State University recently held it’s 8th annual Take Back the Night.

TBtN is a nationwide event to help raise awareness about sexual assault or violence, and to provide support for survivors. It is a powerful thing to see your community gather and care for one another.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

Collegiate Talents

Posted by Brian Lombardi on April 9, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Fitchburg State University’s much anticipated last Main Stage show of the year, The Crucible, is currently running.

The Crucible is a work by ultra-famous playwright, Arthur Miller.

In my English Studies pursuits, over the years Arthur Miller has come up a lot. Luckily, the talented cast for FSU’s show pulled off a great performance, completely worthy of the celebrated story.

Read More

Topics: Student Experience

10 Ways To Keep Yourself Upbeat

Posted by Brian Lombardi on March 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Fitchburg State is going to be a big part of your life. 

It’s important to keep spirits up around campus, yes, but more important to do so in yourselves. I know this is easier said than done sometimes. Life throws curves and we're not always thrilled to wake up each morning to face the day.

Everyone needs a little boost from time to time, that's perfectly normal. So let’s jump right into this. Here's 10 things that can help keep you busy and positive.

I’m winging this, but we can make it work. 

Read More

Topics: Student Experience