sgoce-blog-logo

Did you miss the Special Education webinar? Don't worry we've got your answers.

Posted by Andy Cunningham on February 27, 2018 at 10:03 AM

If you missed our webinar, no worries. We've got you covered! Here's the video of the recorded webinar and a list of all the questions asked. And if you still have questions, follow the "Speak to an advisor" link at the end of this post and get all of your questions answered.

Watch our video recording of the webinar.

MTEL:

1.  Do I have to take the MTEL prior to applying, or can I wait?
You must pass the Communication and Literacy: Reading and Writing MTEL as part of the application process to an initial licensure program.

2.  When do I have to pass the remaining MTEL’s for the license I’m seeking?
All required MTEL’s must be passed prior to applying for supervised practicum.

3.  Do you offer MTEL prep workshops?
Yes, Fitchburg State offers MTEL prep workshops on campus and online. These workshops are offered free of charge for matriculated (admitted and enrolled) students.

4.  How do I register for the MTEL?
Visit the MTEL website for registration information and a free sample exam.

5. Do my MTEL scores expire?
No, MTEL scores are good forever*

6. I’m a Fitchburg State alum and passed the MTEL as a student.  Do you still have the scores on file?
Your MTEL’s should still be on file; however, they do not automatically link with your application unless you notify admissions; therefore, it is recommended that you upload your scores to expedite the processing of your application.

Initial Licensure/Professional Licensure:

1. Do I need to have an initial license to apply to the M.Ed. in Special Education: Guided Studies Professional Concentration (Online/Hybrid) program?
Yes, you must hold an initial license in the same content area of Moderate or Severe Disabilities.

2. I have my initial license in another subject than Special Education; what program do I apply for?
If you’re looking to earn another initial license in Moderate or Severe Disabilities you must apply to the M.Ed. in Special Education: Moderate or Severe Disabilities Initial Licensure (Online/Hybrid) program.

Students with an initial license in Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle School or Special Education may apply for the M.Ed. in Special Education: Reading Specialist Initial Licensure (Online/Hybrid), Reading Specialist Certificate or CAGS in Interdisciplinary Studies Reading Specialist program.

3. I earned my initial license through a program at Fitchburg State, do I need to submit a copy of my license?
Yes, upload a copy of your initial teaching license and MTEL Communication and Literacy scores when you complete the online application.

4.  Does coursework in the Moderate or Severe Disabilities Initial Licensure programs help students prepare for the MTEL’s?

Yes! Fitchburg State also offers MTEL prep workshops free of charge to matriculated students to assist them in passing these exams.

5.  Does the moderate disabilities program help prepare educators to integrate technology into the classroom? Such as iPads, Chromebooks, Google Classroom, LMS systems, etc.?

One of the disciplines covered in the Moderate Disabilities program is looking at augmentative and alternative communication devices, that’s primarily where the focus is. Fitchburg State offers additional graduate level elective courses that specifically address other technologies as well.

Behavior Analyst Certificate:

1. I have a Master’s degree in another subject than Behavior Analysis, Education or Psychology, can I apply to your program?
You can absolutely apply to the program; however, as most people applying to the Behavior Analyst Certificate program ultimately want to become Board Certified Behavior Analysts, you should know that the Behavior Analyst Certification Board specifies that Master degrees must be in the areas of Behavior Analysis, Education, or Psychology.  If you are unsure if your degree will be acceptable, you should contact the BACB through their website at www.bacb.com.

2. Can I do the 1500 hours of fieldwork where I work?
Absolutely – as long as the work you are doing is behavior analytic in nature!  Most candidates choose this route, as the amount of fieldwork required is extensive.  Ultimately, that would be a determination you would make along with your fieldwork supervisor.  Remember, the Behavior Analyst Certification Board has several specific requirements regarding Supervised Independent Fieldwork, including that hours cannot begin to be accrued until you have started coursework and have completed a training module on their website (www.bacb.com).  Be sure to view the Experience Standards on the BACB website to see all of the requirements.  

3. When can I start the program?
This program begins once a year in September.  Students must start with SPED 8013 Concepts and Principles of Behavior Analysis, as it serves as the building block for all subsequent classes.

Dyslexia Specialist:

1.  Can I take the Wilson Language Training® through Fitchburg State?
Students must complete the Wilson training on their own and then register for the Fitchburg State credit with 60 days of completing the training.  At this time Fitchburg State doesn’t administer the Wilson training. 

For Wilson Language Training information and questions related to course availability or content, please contact the Wilson Language Training customer service center at 1-800-899-8454 or email them at info@wilsonlanguage.com.

2. How do I register for the corresponding Fitchburg State credit?
At the end of each module you’ll have a 60 day window to register for Fitchburg State graduate credit. You’ll find more information about the credit registration process on our website.

3. Can I get financial aid or use a payment plan for the Wilson Language courses?
No, financial aid is only available to admitted students in degree programs for courses taught by Fitchburg State. The GCE Payment Plan may be used for fall or spring courses taught by Fitchburg State.

4.  Do I need to have a teaching license to be admitted to the M.Ed. in Special Education: Guided Studies Dyslexia Specialist program?

No, a teaching license isn’t required for admission into this program, or the M.Ed. in Special Education: Guided Studies Individualized Concentration (Online/Hybrid) program.

5.  Do I need to take the MTEL or MCAS as part of the Dyslexia Specialist program?

No MTEL or MCAS scores are required for admission into this non-licensure program.

6.  My district is paying for me to complete Wilson Language Training® Level 1 training, can this be applied to the Dyslexia Specialist program?

Yes, credits earned for the Wilson Language Level 1 and 2 Training can transfer into this program to meet the goal area I and II requirements. Be sure to register for the corresponding Fitchburg State credit within 60 days of completing each training module. Visit our University Catalog for a complete list of required courses in the Dyslexia Specialist program.

7.  When is the Dyslexia Specialist program webinar?

This will be held on May 3, 2018. Be sure to check our website for more information and a link to register.

Reading Specialist:

1.  I am interested in becoming certified to teach reading. I already have a masters in Special Education and Elementary Education.  Would I need to take all 36 credits for the program in reading?

Students who hold a Master’s degree and a Massachusetts initial or professional teaching license in Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle School or Special Education may apply to the Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate 27 credit, or CAGS in Interdisciplinary Studies Reading Specialist (Online/Hybrid) 36 credit program and work toward the Reading Specialist Initial License.

2.  I’m interested in the one of the Reading Specialist programs and the M.Ed. in Special Education: Guided Studies Dyslexia Specialist program, can I enroll in both?

Unfortunately at this time students can’t enroll in 2 different programs at one time. You must apply for an enroll in one program or the other. Wilson Language Training® courses can’t be applied to the required disciplines for the Reading Specialist license in Massachusetts, however they may be applied to the non-licensure Dyslexia Specialist program. Contact gce@fitchburgstate.edu to discuss your options in more detail.

All programs/General:

1.  Where do courses meet for the Saturday hybrid meetings?
Courses that include hybrid (face to face) meetings will take place at the main Fitchburg State campus. These courses will have a location of “hybrid” on the course schedule/seats available list.

2.  Do these courses need to be taken in any particular order?
Certain programs such as the Behavior Analyst Certificate program require a specific rotation of courses that begins in the fall. Other programs will have a recommended sequence of classes, including pre and co requisite courses. Upon admission into a program your Program Advisor will provide you with a plan of study that will assist you in navigating which courses to take each semester.

3.  Do I need to take SPED 7023 Foundations of Education before submitting my application to the M.Ed. in Special Education: Moderate or Severe Disabilities Initial Licensure program?
SPED 7023 can be taken before applying or after admission into the program during the first semester of study.

4.  Can I earn more than one license in my program?
No, students may only earn one license through an M.Ed. or Certificate program. If you wish to earn a license in another content area you must contact the Massachusetts DESE for licensure and coursework requirements.

5.  How many credits may I take before applying?
Graduate students may complete 12 graduate credits within 1 year while preparing an application for admission.**
Behavior Analyst Graduate Certificate students may complete 6 credits or the first two course SPED 8013 and SPED 8028 while preparing an application for admission.

6.  What is your price per credit?
Graduate credits are currently priced at $377 per credit, which covers tuition and fees and includes the online program fee, books are a separate cost.***

7.  Are the on-campus classes always offered on Saturdays, or will there be some times they take place on different days?

Most of the hybrid meetings in the initial licensure, non-licensure and professional licensure programs will take place on Saturday at the main Fitchburg State campus. Some courses, such as EDUC 7096 Sheltered English Immersion Endorsement and Supervised Practicum will have a different format.

The M.Ed. in Special Education: Guided Studies Dyslexia Specialist program is the only program currently offered 100% online.

Admissions:

1.  What is the application deadline?
While Fitchburg State offers rolling admission, students should aim to complete their application by mid-April for a summer 2018 application, mid-July for a fall 2018, or by December 1st for a spring application to allow proper time for processing.

If you’re applying to an initial licensure program, be sure to check the MTEL® website for score report release dates to ensure MTEL scores are received prior to the desired start date.

Students who pre-registered for today’s webinar need to submit an application online to receive the $50 application fee waiver.

2.  Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?
Students applying to Special Education program should submit two professional references from someone who works in the field and one academic reference. This can include a supervisor or school principal. Check out our blog for the 5 people you should ask for recommendations.

3.  Do I need to take the GRE or MAT?
No, the GRE or MAT is not required for an application to the M.Ed. in Special Education, Behavior Analyst Certificate or Reading Specialist programs.

4.  How will I know if my application is complete?
Once you submit an application online, you may check the status through the application portal. We recommend you check the status once or twice a week as documents take 1 to 3 business days to process once received.

5. Can I start an application online if I’m missing documents such as the MTEL?
Yes, you may start an application at any time and submit documents as they become available to you.

6.  What is the essay topic for the application?
Students must complete an essay of no more than one page in response to one of the following questions/statement:

• Tell about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
  • What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
  • Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping role.
     - Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
     - What did you do in that particular situation?
     - How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
     - How do you feel about the situation now?
     - What would you change, if anything?

7.  Do the letters of rec have to be uploaded or can they be mailed?

When you complete the online application you’ll provide the name and contact information for 3 references. Fitchburg State Admissions will contact those references to have them complete an online or electronic recommendation.

Financing:

1.  How can I finance my graduate education?
Fitchburg State has several financing options including a payment plan for fall and spring courses, scholarships and graduate assistantships including positions in the Education Department. Visit our Financing Your Graduate Education website for more information.

2.  How do I apply for financial aid?
To apply for financial aid submit the FAFSA application. Our school code is 002184. You must be admitted into a Degree program to be awarded Financial Aid. Certificate and CAGS programs aren’t eligible for federal aid funding.

3.  Do you offer a payment plan?
Yes, Fitchburg State offers a GCE payment plan for fall and spring Fitchburg courses****. Please visit our website for more information.

Speak to an advisor*Information based on the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure® (MTEL)
** Certain restrictions apply, please contact the Admissions Office for more information
***Price based on spring 2018 rates and subject to change.
****The GCE Payment Plan is not available for courses taught by the Wilson Language Training® agency.

Topics: Programs, Webinars