Got Online Questions? We've Got Answers!

Posted by Kimberly McCoy-Blauser on June 21, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Are you new to the world of online classes? Does even the thought of it leave you feeling anxious? Do you have a ton of questions about how online classes work and are different from face to face classes? If you answered yes, then this Online FAQs is for you!

essay_blog_pic.jpg

Q: How do online courses work?
A: Online courses at Fitchburg State University are held completely online through Blackboard, our online learning management system. As a student you access and complete all your work in an online setting with a very user friendly interface.

Q: Where do I go to access the course?
A: The web address for all courses is blackboard.fitchburgstate.edu. As a student you are given a username and password to access the courses in which you are enrolled.

Q: How often do I need to be online?
A: One of the biggest advantages of online learning is that you can access the course at whatever times are most convenient for you. The answer to how often depends on you, but it is recommended to stay involved throughout the week

Q: Are there set times to be online for class?
A: Typically there are not set times. This is what we refer to as asynchronous learning. You access the course at times that are most convenient for you. However, you will have a schedule to keep so that the course has structure. For example, the assignments and activities might have weekly deadlines. This depends on the instructor’s format for class and will be clearly defined.

Q: Is prior computer experience necessary to enroll in an online distance learning course?
A: Yes. A working knowledge of and experience with computer applications is recommended prior to enrollment in online distance learning classes.

Q: What types of support do I have?
A: A lot! There is technical support from our Information Technology Helpdesk available 24/7 at 978-665-4500. Also there is a Director of Distance Education available via email or telephone at mleamy1@fitchburgstate.edu or 978-665-4783.

Q: How do I register?
A: You can register for online courses just as you would register for traditional courses. Registration details are available through the registrar.

Q: I have forgotten my username and password to log-in, what can I do?
A: If you contact the IT Helpdesk, they can assist you with your account. The number for the IT Helpdesk is 978-665-4500.

Q: I have my username and password but I am unable to access my course, what can I do?
A: Contact the IT Helpdesk as they can access your account, identify the problem, and help you to resolve the issue.

Q: What is new about the graduate Special Education programs?
A: Please click on this link to access information on the updated Special Education programs.

We want you to be comfortable with the online course format before committing to taking a class.Try a demo online course

You'll gain exposure to an online class setting, without having to apply or pay for a class.  You'll learn the navigation through demonstration of some of the common features and functions of an online course.