Getting to Know our Student Veteran's Organization

Posted by Kimberly McCoy-Blauser on June 23, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Did you know that Fitchburg State University is a military friendly campus?  We now have a new Student Veteran's Organization to help provide all veteran learners a smooth transition from military to civilian life.  We recently caught up with the President and Vice President of the organization to find out exactly what veteran friendly campus means and why this organization is so important to them and other veterans here on campus.

Tell us about yourselves:VeteranKristenBlog.jpg

My name is Kristin King and I am the president of the Student Veteran's Organization. I served in active duty Army for 6 years as an SPC (e-4) from 2008-2014, my MOS was supply specialist (92Y). I was stationed in Kansas, Germany and deployed to Iraq. I’m a sophomore at Fitchburg State University, studying in the Bachelor of Science Early Childhood Education Birth to 8 Concentration (Non-Licensure) program.

VeteranVictoriablog-1.jpg
My name is Victoria Muise and I am the vice president of the Student Veteran's Organization. I am currently still serving in the Massachusetts Army National Guard as an SPC (e-4). I enlisted in August 2010 and my MOS is a dental specialist (68E). I deployed to Afghanistan in 2014-2015. I am a senior here at Fitchburg State, studying in the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies major. I hope to graduate in May of 2017, and I would like to go to dental hygiene school after graduating from Fitchburg State University.

What does it mean to be a veteran friendly campus?

A veteran friendly campus, should be an environment where veterans/military students feel comfortable in and out of class. Having approachable faculty and staff that veterans can go to for any reason and plenty of programs in place to further assist veterans with the difficult transition to school and help them stay in school until graduation.

What is the Student Veteran’s Organization? And can GCE Students join this organization?

The purpose of the group is to provide a social group to help veterans adjust to and become successful in civilian and college life. We want to integrate veterans and students into social and campus activities. Any student veteran can be involved regardless if they are a day, evening, online, undergraduate or graduate student. We highly encourage National Guard, Reservists and other members who are interested in the group. We currently have 20 members, ranging in age from 18 to over 35, but we are always looking for more.

What services can GCE students benefit from by joining this organization or using the Veteran’s Center? 

First and foremost, veterans can benefit by meeting other veterans like themselves and having a space to study. We also have a VA peer counselor that comes to campus once a week in the veteran's center. Members are able to utilize a microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker, and computer in the center, along with couches, chairs and a big conference table perfect for homework. Valuable flyers with important information for veterans are posted weekly on local events and volunteer opportunities.

If a student can’t make the on campus meetings, can they still join the organization and join in other opportunities?  

We understand that veterans have jobs and families, therefore we don’t require members to attend every meeting. However, members are encouraged to try and make all of the meetings that fit their schedules.

Why did you choose to return to school after serving in the military? Why did you choose Fitchburg State as your institution?

Victoria: I chose to go to school during my time in the military because once I get out in August of 2016 I will be very close to earning a degree, and this is with a deployment thrown in the middle of my school career. My ultimate goal is to become a Dental Hygienist, but I chose to attend Fitchburg State because I originally wanted to become a teacher and this school has a great education program.

Kristin: I chose Fitchburg State because I am from Leominster and I wanted to be close to my family while attending school. I’ve always wanted to work with children since I was young, so picking my major was an easy choice.

What advice would you give to a new GCE veteran learner about returning to school?

Victoria: Advice I would give to a new GCE student is to not get worried about it taking longer to complete your course of study. You will get done eventually. Focus on your classes rather than the end point. And don’t ever be afraid to ask for help. I have asked for help many times, and professors are always willing to assist.

This organization has been a dream of both of the advisors and quickly became the University’s passion to help make the sometimes difficult transition from structured military life to civilian life as a student easier. The Student Veteran's Organization is located in Thompson first floor, room 116 right off of the lobby. Please feel free to stop by anytime and check it out. The center is open as long as Thompson is unlocked, so veterans with evening/night classes can come by and do some homework or heat up some food before class.

Want to find out what GCE at Fitchburg State has to offer?

Check out our programs

Thank you to Kristin King and Victoria Muise for contributing to this blog.