What can your advisor do for you?

Posted by Kelly Norris on February 18, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Marylyn_Gainan

Thanks to guest blogger Marylyn Gainan, Coordinator of GCE Advising and Support Services, for her assistance with this blog post. Email Marylyn with any questions you may have about our programs at Fitchburg State.

When I was an undergrad I lived by my advisor’s word. What classes do I need to take? Does my schedule look right? Am I going to graduate if I take these specific classes? As an adult I find that I still need help from time to time figuring out what I should do next, especially since I completed my undergraduate degree ten years ago.
advisingThe best advice I can give to new GCE students is to contact their Program Advisor as soon as they are accepted. He or she will help you navigate your program from start to finish. If you’re an undergraduate student, chances are you have a lot of transfer credits, perhaps from different schools. Your advisor can help you make sense of where they apply to your program. How do graduate students know what classes to take, or the best order to take them in? How do education students know which MTEL’s they need, when to take them, and what they have to do to complete a practicum? Your advisor will answer all of these questions for you in an advising session. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a piece of paper that says...“Here are the classes you need to take and when they’re offered."  Your advisor can give you that too.

• Does your schedule only allow for one or two classes per semester?
  • Do you prefer to take a class on campus, or do online or hybrid classes work better for your schedule?
  • Do you have concerns, questions or time constraints?
Let your advisor know this information at your first advising session.

Just like you, advisors are working adults with a family and a full time job, and they can identify with your responsibilities. Advisors are familiar with the classes offered and can advise you as to the proper time to take certain classes so you don’t overwhelm yourself or your schedule.

Still think that's not enough reason to contact your advisor?

Here’s another benefit: we have dedicated advisors at Fitchburg State who remember their students for years to come. If you’re a good student who’s always on your advisor’s radar, you might get recommended for a scholarship or even a job opportunity! Wouldn’t it be nice to have a professional reference that wasn’t an employer?

Your advisor knows your program. They know the coursework inside and out, and really get to know their students on a personal level to help advise them better. Your advisor wants to see you reach your goals as much as you want to reach them. Find your advisor online and get started with an advising session. Can’t make it to campus? Call or email your advisor and set up a virtual session that works for the two of you. Make sure that you contact him or her soon. Registration for summer classes opens April 6th!

Speak to an advisor

No time right now for advising? Feel free to leave any questions you might have in the comments section below.