sgoce-blog-logo

Did you miss the forensic nursing webinar? Read everything you need to know on your time.

Posted by Kelly Norris on October 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM

If you missed our webinar, no worries. We've got you covered! Here's the video of the recorded webinar and a list of all the questions asked. And if you still have questions, follow the "Speak to an advisor" link at the end of this post and get all of your questions answered.

27:16

27:16

Wistia video thumbnail - Master of Science in Nursing (Forensic) Webinar - 10/20/16

Thanks for reporting a problem. We'll attach technical data about this session to help us figure out the issue. Which of these best describes the problem?

Any other details or context?

Cancel
message

1. How many credits can a student take as a non-matriculated student?

Graduate students may complete 12 graduate credits within one year while preparing an application for admission.

Students can also apply to transfer six graduate credits from another regionally accredited college or university.*

2. When can I start the program?

Students may begin this program in the fall (September - December), spring (January – May) or summer (late May) semesters.

3. What is the average course load of a Forensic Nursing student and how long does it take to complete the program?

Students typically complete six graduate credits per semester, which is the minimum for federal financial aid.

This program can be completed in 2.5 years, however students have a total of 6 years from the first course they take in the program to graduate.

4. What is the price per credit for an out of state student?

Graduate credits are priced the same for in- or out-of-state students. Graduate credits are currently priced at $377.00 per credit, which covers tuition and fees, books are a separate cost set by each instructor.**

5. Do the MSN in Forensic Nursing or the Forensic Nursing Graduate Certificate have a residency requirement? Can I complete the program 100% online?

The MSN in Forensic Nursing or Forensic Nursing Graduate Certificate programs have no residency requirement, meaning you will complete the coursework 100% online. Students complete the clinical component in their home state.

6. Do you offer a payment plan?

Yes, a payment plan is available for fall and spring GCE courses. Please visit our website for more information.

7. How many hours of clinical do I need to complete?

Students complete a total of 420 clinical hours for the MSN in Forensic Nursing (Online) degree, and 360 for the Forensic Nursing Graduate Certificate (Online).

Where do students complete the clinical component?

Clinical agencies include:

• District Attorney’s Office
  • Hospitals
  • Police Departments
  • Medical Examiner’s Office
  • Department of Human Services
  • Youth Services

How do I set-up the clinical component?

Students are provided with a form as a guide for setting up their clinical.  This includes “suggested” clinical agencies and steps on how to formally set-up all required information.

Can I complete the clinical hours at my place of employment?

Students can complete the clinical piece at the institution where they work, but not on the unit where they work.  Clinical cannot be completed while a student is paid for the same hours.

8. What course(s) should I start with in the spring 2017 semester?

• NURS 7000 Nursing with Diverse Populations 1/17- 5/15/17 Online
  • NURS 7200 Nursing Theory 1/17 – 5/15/17 Online
  • NURS 8000 Introduction to Forensic Nursing 1/17 – 5/15/17 Online
  • NURS 8410 Criminal Law 1/17 – 5/15/17 Online

No clinical requirement for these courses.

Spring course registration begins October 31, 2016.

9. What happens if a student moves during the program?

Since the program is all online it does not matter if a student relocates prior to graduation.  However, he or she would need to arrange clinical wherever they are.

10. Why do you say the program is offered completely online if I have to complete clinical in my home state?

Coursework in the MSN in Forensic Nursing and Forensic Nursing Graduate Certificate programs are offered 100% online. Students complete clinical hours in their home state.

11. Can I piecemeal my application?

Yes, be sure to submit your application by November 20, 2016 to receive the application fee waiver. Fitchburg State offers rolling admissions, which means you may apply at any time prior to the start of the semester.

12. I’m new to online learning, how should I begin?

Watch a free online course demo to get a feel for online learning.

13.  I have my AD in nursing and a BS in psychology, would I still be able to apply to this program?

Yes, RN’s with a B.A., B.S., M.A., M.S., Ed. D. or Ph.D. degree in complementary professional disciplines may complete a pre-matriculation portfolio. Please contact us the Graduate and Continuing Education Office at gce@fitchburgstate.edu or 978-665-3182 for more details.

14. Do I need to have an MSN to apply for the Forensic Nursing Certificate?

Yes, you must hold your MSN to apply for the Forensic Nursing Graduate Certificate

15. I’ve been out of school for a while, where can I get an academic letter of recommendation?

If you have been out of school for some time and are unable to get an academic reference, please submit 3 professional references.  Please review our recommendation blog for additional ideas for people to ask for references.

16. Where have your graduates ended up working?

Students who graduated from this program have worked for the Medical Examiner’s office, as Death Investigators, and as Legal Nurse Consultants with various law firms or as an independent consultants, and as Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners.  In addition our graduates work as nursing educators, trauma RN’s, in-patient locked behavioral health units, as a forensic nurse in the Child Protection Program at Mass Memorial Health Care, and as a forensic nurse for Children’s Advocacy centers.

17. I’m from Canada, what are the application requirements for an international student?

All foreign transcripts must be formally evaluated before we are able to make an admissions decision. Graduate applicants are required to submit a “general” evaluation.

Following are suggested organizations which provide foreign credential evaluation services:

Prospects from Canada are not required to take the TOEFL or IELTS.
Please note: An F-1 Visa will not be issued since this is an online program. 

18. Do you have an RN to MSN bridge program as I don’t hold my Bachelor’s degree?

No, at this time Fitchburg State doesn’t offer an RN to MSN bridge program. Fitchburg State currently offers an RN to BSN (Online) program.  Please contact us for more information.

19. I already have my MSN (Nursing Leadership/Education Focus). Will you accept any of these credits in lieu of your classes?

Courses previously counted toward a graduate degree or CAGS from Fitchburg State University or another accredited institution do not qualify for transfer towards a Fitchburg State University Master’s or Graduate Certificate program. We offer a Post-Master's Forensic Nursing Graduate Certificate for MSN trained RN's.

20. What would the degree state: masters of science in nursing - forensic nursing Or masters of science in forensic nursing?

Your degree will be a Master of Science in Forensic Nursing

*Certain restrictions apply, please contact the Admissions Office for more information

**Prices based on fall 2016 rates and subject to change.