sgoce-blog-logo

5 questions you’re afraid to ask, but should!

Posted by Andy Cunningham on June 17, 2019 at 12:54 PM

When advising students we often hear “If you don’t mind my asking”. Typically accompanying that statement are questions that students feel are embarrassing to ask and don’t want to bring up. As advisors we’re here to answer any and all questions you have, so of course we don’t mind your asking, we encourage you to ask as many questions as you want. The following are the top 5 questions you’re afraid to ask, but should be asking first!

advising1.  It's been a while since I was in school, and I didn’t do as well as I wanted to. I believe I’ll do well as an adult learner . What can I do to raise my GPA?
Fitchburg State allows you to take up to 12 credits without being accepted into a program.* This is the perfect time for students to show academic ability as adult students and help improve their GPA.  Registration for summer classes is now open.  Try an accelerated 5-week course to get your feet wet.

2.  I'm not ready to start right away, what are my options?
Most graduate programs offer multiple start dates with flexible schedules. Be sure to ask our advising team when the best time to start is, and what class you should take.

3.  What is the format of the program I want to study?
It's best to learn when and how courses are offered before enrolling, to ensure this will fit your individual schedule.

4.  I don’t have access to any personal or professional references, who can I ask?
Think again! There are more people than you realize who can speak to your student potential, character and work ethic. For example, do you do any volunteer work? The people that you work with during volunteer activities are great references because they see you at your best.

5.  How am I going to pay for graduate courses, what are my financing options?
Graduate Assistantship positions are available to admitted students. If hired, both tuition and fees are waived for fifteen semester hours of graduate course work and also provide a stipend. Students can apply for graduate scholarships through the Graduate and Continuing Education website as well. Don’t forget, too, about the interest-free GCE payment plan for fall and spring courses.**

Anything that you’re going to tell us, we’ve heard it before. And when it comes to your education, no question is a silly one. Everyone comes from a different background and has prior experiences. We are here to fill in the blanks and get you on the path that is right for you! Getting the answers to all of these questions will set you up on your path to success!

So how do you get your questions answered? Email us at gce@fitchburgstate.edu, call 978-665-3182, or schedule an advising appointment. Attend an evening on campus information session or watch a free 30-minute webinar on your own time.

Speak to an advisor

*Students in the Online Accelerated programs must be admitted into a program to register for courses.

**Payment plan is available for fall and spring Graduate and Continuing Education (GCE) courses. Not available to students in the online accelerated programs.

Thank you to Marylyn Gainan, Coordinator of GCE Advising and Support Services and Amber Deschenes, Recruitment and Retention Coordinator for contributing this blog.