sgoce-blog-logo

Teaching and Learning with Multimedia

Posted by Kelly Norris on August 20, 2018 at 8:38 AM

Let’s face it. Teaching in the classroom has changed greatly over the past couple of years with the help of technology in the hands of our students and teachers. Fitchburg State University recognizes that teachers must have a pulse on what can be done in the classroom with the help of technology. This is why Fitchburg State now offers a course “Teaching and Learning with Multimedia”. Regardless of the device, there are many tools that can help students and teachers learn information, prove competency, as well as aide in the reflection process. These tools provide a space for students and teachers to tell their own story.

Teachers that took "Teaching and Learning with Multimedia” this summer learned a great deal about a variety of tools and resources that allow students to focus on creating content rather than just consuming information. This course embeds the new ISTE Standards for Educators and ISTE Standards for Students. This class explores how students can be empowered to be creative communicators by expressing themselves using a variety of tools and digital media appropriate to their learning. In this hands-on, hybrid, interactive class, students explore new tools and emerging technologies such as augmented reality, virtual reality, infographics, gamification, storytelling, book creating, podcasting, and virtual expeditions. These tools allow teachers and students to become innovative designers to share their work with a global community by using portfolios and social media to connect with other educators.

Follow the Fitchburg State course Twitter hashtags #multimediafsu (Teaching and Learning with Multimedia) or #gafefsu (Intro to G-Suite for Educators) to stay up to date with how teachers are learning and applying in their classrooms.

Throughout the course, teachers from across all grade levels and content areas were required to document their own learning with the tools covered in the course and more importantly reflect on their learning in the portfolio. Not only does this portfolio showcase the hard work but it also helps tell a story of a particular students journey through their learning. Want to get a glimpse of a particular student’s journey? Check out her portfolio HERE.

null

Register today

EDUC 7126 CRN 14858 
Topics:  Teaching and Learning with Multimedia
9/19/18 - 10/27/18
Hybrid course - online with 4 face to face meetings 9/19, 9/29, 10/13, 10/27

Below are a few comments from students who have taken “Teaching and Learning with Multimedia” or “Intro to G-Suite for Educators” courses this summer:

“ I really appreciated the format and the interactive nature of the course. Mary and Craig were excellent instructors and their presentation of materials was complementary to one another and worked so well for instructing a group needing individualized help. I am INSPIRED!! I feel like I have skills to use in my classroom far more than I have ever had from PD on Ed Tech. Thank you for a GREAT WEEK!!

“I am so happy that I decided to take this course. Worth every penny I spent on it. Can't wait to use some of these skills in school."

"Thank you for a great week. Each of you made this class fabulous. Very energizing and lots of practical use”.

“The atmosphere created by Mary and Craig was really supportive, inspiring and filled with energy. Learn by doing!! Great motto. Thank you so very much for the encouragement and guidance. AWESOME class!!”

“I have been blown away by the depth of tools available to educators, and I am grateful to the two of you for learning how these tools work, and teaching others about the tools instead of just using them. You have inspired me to not only implement these tools into teaching and learning but also to share these tools with my colleagues and inspire them to develop their understanding of what "tech in the classroom" really is. Thank you.”

“Great job! Please don't stop teaching. Also, teach more courses...

This has been the BEST course I have taken in a long time. I have always wanted to learn this content and now I have finally gotten an opportunity to learn it in the best way possible.”

“Every Educator will find this course useful, energizing, inspiring, and relevant to their practice! @csheil and@mmarotta are a phenomenal teaching duo! #fitchburgstate_GCE

Craig Sheil

Thank you to Craig Sheil and Mary Marotta for contributing to this blog.

Craig Sheil is a Google for Education Certified Trainer and Integration Teacher at Bedford High School. He is also an adjunct faculty for Graduate and Continuing Education at Fitchburg State University. Twitter:@csheil

Mary Marotta

Mary Marotta is an Instructional Technology teacher with over twenty years experience teaching at the high school, college level with a focus on technology integration.  She is a Google for Education Certified Trainer and MassCUE Pathfinder. Mary delivers a variety of technology courses teachers to promote creativity in the classroom. Twitter: @mmarotta

Topics: Programs