sgoce-blog-logo

If you missed the International Education webinar, no worries.

Posted by Kelly Norris on September 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Here's the video of the recorded webinar and a list of all the questions asked. If you still have questions, just click on the "Speak to an advisor" button at the end of this post and get all of your questions answered.

When will my I-20 be issued?

After you are admitted and complete the online intent to enroll, you’ll be contacted by the Office of International Education (OIE) to submit the required paperwork.
Please note that an I-20 will not be issued to a student in an online program.

What documents do I need to submit for my I-20?

• A copy of your biographical/photo page of your passport
  • Financial documents or bank statements
  • A letter of support if the financial documents are not in your name
  • I-20 request form
What documents do I need to submit for an admissions decision?
  • Official transcripts from every college or university that you’ve attended (undergraduate and graduate schools)
  • Official transcript evaluation
  • Official IELTS or TOEFL scores
  • Professional resume or CV
  • 3 letters of recommendation (for M.S. in Computer Science applicants, and one letter of recommendation for MBA applicants with a GPA of less than 2.8)
  • Application fee

What is the minimum score on the English proficiency exam?
Students must receive a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS, or 79 on the Internet Based Test (IBT) TOEFL to meet the application requirement.

What is the application deadline?
The application priority deadlines for graduate students are as follows:
Spring semester: October 1
Fall semester: March 15

How can I check on the status of my application?
At least two hours after submitting the online graduate application you may log in through the application portal to check on the status. Once received, documents take 48 to 72 business hours to process.

Where can I find the guide for international applicants?
https://www.fitchburgstate.edu/uploads/files/InternationalEducation/International_Student_Application_Guide.pdf

Do I automatically qualify for CPT and OPT?
To be considered for CPT you must complete at least 1 full time semester as an F-1 student at Fitchburg State, and have this request approved by your academic department and the appropriate dean.

To be considered for OPT you must complete at least 2 consecutive, full time semesters of study at Fitchburg State, and must submit application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Am I required to enroll in the university health insurance?
Yes, you’re required to enroll in the university health insurance plan unless you have an insurance plan based in the United States that has similar or more coverage than the school’s insurance.

Am I required to attend International Student Orientation?
Yes, you’re required to attend the entire event. This event will take place approximately one week before classes start. At this event you will meet with your advisor, complete placement testing, register for classes, and more.

As a graduate student on an F1 visa, what programs can I study?
Students may select from the Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Master of Science in Computer Science program.

How long does it take to complete a graduate program?
Traditionally the MBA or M.S. in Computer Science programs are completed in about two years.

Can I work while going to school?
F-1 visa students are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours a week during the academic year (September – May) and up to 40 hours a week during breaks (Winter, Spring) and summers. Many of our students work as tutors in the office right across from the OIE, others have found positions in the library, with campus police, and in the recreation center.

Is the M.S. in Computer Science program a STEM program?
Yes.

When will I receive my student ID card?
Students will receive a student ID (OneCard) during the new student orientation. Visit our website for more information about discounts at local merchants in the Fitchburg area available to active students with a OneCard.

Do I need to have my foreign transcripts evaluated?
Yes, you must have official foreign transcripts evaluated by an accredited agency. We recommend you work with WES or CED.

Do transcripts need to be official or may I send them on my own?
All transcripts must be official and sent directly from each institution in a sealed envelope.  We will also accept electronic transcripts coming directly from the institution.

Do you offer on-campus housing?
On-campus housing is not available for graduate students. Affordable off-campus housing choices are available in the Fitchburg area. Please contact the Office of International Education for more information.

Do you offer conditional admission?
No, we do not offer conditional admission. If your score is below the minimum you must retake the IETLS and/or TOEFL exam to complete the application process.

Do you offer a payment plan for International students?
Yes, we offer a payment plan for International students. Please visit our website for more information, or contact the Student Accounts Office at stuaccnts@fitchburgstate.edu.

Speak to an advisor

Topics: Programs