sgoce-blog-logo

Our Students: Ranee Wright, MSN, RN, CCHP-RN

Posted by Kimberly McCoy-Blauser on January 31, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Ranee’ Maree’ Wright received the Graduate Student Leadership Award at our 2017 winter commencement.  Ranee’ has worked in health care for 14 years and thrives on challenges.  As a forensic nurse examiner in her native Wisconsin, she cares for patients in crisis as they are Ranee Maree Wright.jpgphotographed following sexual assaults and domestic violence. She also works at the Wisconsin Resource Center, caring for prison inmates in a psychiatric setting.

Her care for this diverse patient population is motivated by a fundamental tenet of nursing – everyone deserves to be treated with compassion, and the nurse’s primary task is to advocate for their patients.

Following her studies at Fitchburg State, Ranee’ seeks to continue her education as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner, where she hopes to continue broadening the scope and practice of her chosen field.  She lives in Wisconsin with her husband, Jeremy, and their children.

Why did you attend graduate school?

When I think about my reason to attend graduate school, I find that I want to give a complex answer, but really it is a simple one.  I enjoy learning. I feel fortunate that I have chosen a career field that allows me many different areas and opportunities to learn new ideas and skills. I initially thought I should study to become a nurse educator and apply for a grant that Wisconsin offered to encourage nurses towards this career. It would be a free education. I felt obligated to this path until I found myself sitting in a dimly lit hallway at 2 a.m. in a prison. Let me explain. 

I was working third shift one evening, and I was sitting at the nursing staff desk of a maximum security unit passing the time discussing the book, The Serial Killer Whisperer, by Pete Earley.  It's about a man with a traumatic brain injury who befriends murderers and begins corresponding with them, until he eventually finds a way to connect. In the opening chapter, he spoke of forensic psychiatry and I recalled feeling disappointed that this exciting new field of study was opening up, but I had chosen to follow a different career path.  It was then I decided to switch my focus and attend Fitchburg State’s Master of Science in Forensic Nursing Program. The passion and drive that one can feel inside does not have a price tag on it.

What is Forensic Nursing?

In short, it is the practice of nursing globally where the health and legal systems intersect.  Recognizing violence as a health care issue is the first step.  We can see the impact that less nurturing environments have had over the generations. The environments in which children are raised affects their genes.  Children who grow up influenced by drugs and violence are negatively affected, and that negative influence extends to future generations. Working in a correctional setting with individuals who have been influenced by their environment can be challenging. My continued desire to advocate for an underserved population that needs a nurse looking out for their health care needs keeps me motivated.  

Martha Rogers was the nurse theorist who helped establish nursing as a science. She called nursing’s story a magnificent epic of service to mankind, and that is how I approach my discipline. If we can see our correctional population from Rogers’ perspective, and think of the totality of their experiences, we can create better outcomes.  Perhaps this paradigm shift can someday lead to a decrease in the violence in society because we will finally begin healing people. We cannot achieve health equity until we address the violence.

Did the program meet your expectations?

Dr. Dumas, Dr. Stone, Professor Shulman, Deborah Gifford, Angela Hinze, and all the professors and preceptors I have had along my journey, taught me that the things that I put forth in the world are a direct reflection of the people that have invested into my success; it continues to make me be my best self.

I want to take a moment to pay tribute to a professor that I had early on in my studies at Fitchburg State. Georgia Pasqualone, who passed away this summer, was an inspiration and her death marked a huge loss not just for Fitchburg State, but also for the forensic nursing world. Professor Pasqualone was an internationally recognized lecturer, writer, and forensic expert. Thank you Professor Pasqualone for pushing the limits of Forensic Nursing, your contributions to the profession will continue through your students!

What advice do you have for others looking to pursue a graduate degree?

Never ignore that gut feeling you have inside when you are passionate about something. It will come and go as life takes you on its journey, but when it comes back to you, pay attention. See where the passion can take you, and let it give you the courage to be your best self.

I couldn’t have imagined where my life was headed just from reading that book, nor have I ever stopped to look back. I do take the time to reflect on my journey and appreciate the experiences that I have had along the way. It is one thing to be happy once you achieve your dreams and goals, but to appreciate your dedication and investments will continue that desire for inspiration and passion. That is when you can create change. Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Thinking about grad school? Attend our Graduate Fair on February 20, 1- 5:30 pm in Hammond Main Lounge.

Learn about our Graduate Fair

Topics: Programs, Our Students