sgoce-blog-logo

Meet Nicole Chelonis, Coordinator of Online Accelerated Programs

Posted by Andy Cunningham on August 22, 2017 at 7:38 AM

Hi, I’m Nicole Chelonis, the Coordinator of Online Accelerated Programs at Fitchburg State University.  My role here at Fitchburg State is to help faculty upload their online courses to the Blackboard system.  I also help students navigate Blackboard and become familiar with it so they feel confident that they can use it successfully to complete online courses.

nicole 2.jpg

I earned my Master’s Degree in Adult Education from Pennsylvania State University’s fully online World Campus program.  At the time I decided to pursue my Master’s degree I was 34 years old. I worked a 40 hour a week job, I had 2 young children at home, a husband who worked nights, and I lived 1.5 hours away from the closest university.  I had no viable option but to find an online program.

I lived in California at that time and I was nervous about starting a program at a university 3000 miles and 3 time zones away from me. I made it work; and if I could do it, you can too.  Here are some of the tips I learned along the way.

• Take ownership of your education.  Remember why you are pursuing this degree. Be proactive in asking questions and staying informed with your advisor, instructors and registrar’s office. Don’t just wait to be told important information.
  • Online classes are not easier than face to face classes. Sometimes they are harder.  It can depend on your personality and learning style.
    • If you feel alone, reach out to other students in your class.  Ask your instructor to create a “water cooler” thread in the discussion board where students can talk about off topic things.  This can help you feel connected.
    • Ask to speak with your instructor on the phone if you need to.  Sometimes it can be hard to communicate through writing.  Your instructor can offer appointment times to clarify things over the phone if it will help you.
  • The key to success is time management and organization.
    • Log on early each week and write down all the assignments and due dates for that week.  It can be easy to miss something if you have to log in and click through a few screens to find it.
    • Don’t assume that your instructor is going to answer email 24/7.  He or she is a working professional who might take a Saturday or Sunday off from class.  If you wait until then to ask for help, you may not get it before your assignment is due.  Ask questions early in the week.
  • Prepare to feel a little overwhelmed the first few days of a new class.  There is a lot of information to read through and organize.  Take your time and put in the effort to get organized and make notes.  Read the syllabus and look over the work that will be required of you during the entire course.  Plan ahead for major projects
  • You get out what you put in.  This is your education and you want to feel proud of it when you have earned your degree.  Give it your best effort and attention.
  • Don’t quit! There are resources to help you succeed.  Your instructors, advisor and the administration are here for you.  Ask for help when you need it.

Not sure if you're ready for online classes? Give it a try...

Try a demo online course