sgoce-blog-logo

Meet Kathleen Craigen, Outreach and Recruitment Coordinator in GCE

Posted by Kimberly McCoy-Blauser on May 30, 2019 at 12:57 PM

What is your educational background?Kat_Craigen
I have my BS in Human Services from Fitchburg State University. When I graduated Fitchburg High School in 2010, I began studying Animal Science at UMASS Amherst. After a year there, I transferred to Fitchburg State to study Secondary Education and Biology. After just one semester, however, I began working and studying at Mount Wachusett Community College (MWCC) as an AmeriCorps member. After receiving my AS in Human Services in 2014 from MWCC, I transferred back to Fitchburg State and received my BS in Human Services with a minor in Biology in May of 2015.

What does your position entail?
My position requires a lot of community engagement, both with individuals and companies. I’ll be traveling through North Central Massachusetts to complete market research, attend educational and career fairs, meet with corporate and private company professionals, and network broadly. As an ambassador for the North Central Chamber of Commerce, I also engage with small, local businesses and events throughout the year as a representative of Fitchburg State University.

Internally, I will be advising degree completion students through our 100% online Business and Interdisciplinary majors. This will include:

• Answering general questions
  • Connecting students with colleagues for specific requests through the entire process from inquiry to registration
  • Providing a variety of personal and academic resources to ensure student success through their time with Fitchburg State

How do you work with adult learners?
As a former Coordinator of the Students Serving Our Students (SOS) program at Mount Wachusett Community College, I am confident in working with non-traditional students, particularly adult learners. I understand the many obstacles that an adult learner may face in pursuing their degree such as work/study/life balance, reintegrating into the college setting, unfamiliarity with online learning, childcare, financial burdens, etc. I also work every day to understand and emphasize the many great qualities that the adult learner brings to conversations such as years of experience in a particular field, resilience in work/life balance, and passion for lifelong learning. With familiarity of the resources we have here at Fitchburg State and in our community, I am confident that I can support a diverse group of students pursuing their educational and professional goals.

As an alumna, what is the reason you wanted to return to Fitchburg State for the Coordinator position?
Fitchburg State has always felt like home for me. My love and commitment to this university started in 2007 when I was just a sophomore in high school. Through the Upward Bound program, I spent many Saturdays and four summers here on campus learning more about myself, my educational goals, and my passion for higher education. My success personally, educationally, and professionally can be attributed to the support systems that were provided to me simply by being affiliated with Fitchburg State. After completing my degree, I’ve continued to serve as an alumni representative for the Human Services advisory board. When presented with the opportunity to apply for the Outreach and Recruitment Coordinator position, it was a no brainer for me.

This position has given me the opportunity to learn an immense amount about the university, the students, and the culture. I am very much looking forward to pursuing my MBA beginning July 2019 and becoming an adult learner myself.

If you are thinking about going back to school, contact us to find out how to get started.

Speak to an advisor