You test drive a car before you buy it. You look at apartments and houses before you make an offer to make sure it’s the right place to live. Shouldn’t you be able to try a graduate class prior to applying to a program? Fitchburg State offers an option for students to take up to 12 graduate credits within 1 year prior to admission to a program. What are the benefits of taking a class prior to applying?
Get acclimated with school again
- If you’ve been out of school for a while you might want to adjust by taking one class to get used to the schedule and workload.
- Get a feel for the online learning environment. First time taking an online course? Try our online course demo before registering.
- Make sure the program you’re choosing is the right one for you. Are you thinking about teaching Early Childhood Education? Try out a class to make sure the program suits the age levels you want to work with. Not sure if Forensic Nursing is for you?
- Find out whether online or on campus suits you best. Visit our beautiful campus and adjust to a new schedule of evening courses.
- While you’re completing the course, work with the Admissions Office to complete your application.
- Need to take prerequisites for the MBA or M.S. in Counseling program to complete your application? Get a head start on your requirements.
- Looking for an academic reference, but it’s been a while since you’ve been in school? Taking a course prior to applying allows you the chance to make connections with new academic references. Have your professor speak to your skillset as an adult learner.
As with buying a car or house, certain terms and conditions apply to taking a course prior to applying:
- This doesn’t guarantee admission into a program.
- Graduate credits have a 6 year shelf-life even if you take a course prior to applying.
- Non-matriculated credits must be approved to transfer into a program by the Program Chair at the time of application review. To be proactive complete the Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit form (PDF) when you complete the application.
- Explore our financing options including our payment plan.
We know you’ve put a lot of time into your research -- turn your interest into a reality. Take the next step before committing to a program.