sgoce-blog-logo

Did you miss the Moderate and Severe Disabilities webinar? We've got you covered.

Posted by Andy Cunningham on August 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM

If you missed our webinar, no worries.  Here's the video of the recorded webinar and a list of all the questions asked. If you still have questions, just click on the "Speak to an advisor" button at the end of this post and get all of your questions answered.

MTEL

Program questions

Admissions

Financing

I

MTEL:

Do I have to take the MTEL prior to applying, or can I wait?

You must pass the Communication and Literacy: Reading and Writing MTEL as part of the application process to an initial licensure program.

When do I have to pass the remaining MTEL’s for the license I’m seeking?

All required MTEL’s must be passed prior to applying for supervised practicum.

Do you offer MTEL prep workshops?

Yes, Fitchburg State offers MTEL prep workshops on campus and online. These workshops are offered free of charge for matriculated (admitted and enrolled) students. Review slide 19 for links to the MTEL.

How do I register for the MTEL?

Visit the MTEL website for registration information and a free sample exam.

Do my MTEL scores expire?

No, MTEL scores are good forever*

I’m a Fitchburg State alum and passed the MTEL as a student.  Do you still have the scores on file?

Your MTEL’s should still be on file; however, they do not automatically link with your application unless you notify admissions; therefore, it is recommended that you upload your scores to expedite the processing of your application.

Program questions:

Where do courses meet for the Saturday hybrid meetings?

Courses that include hybrid (face to face) meetings will take place at the main Fitchburg State campus. Hybrid dates are posted months in advance so that students can plan their schedule around these dates. These courses will have a location of “hybrid” on the course schedule/seats available list.

Do these courses need to be taken in any particular order?

Certain programs such as the Behavior Analyst Certificate program require a specific rotation of courses that begins in the fall. Other programs, such as the Moderate or Severe Disabilities initial licensure will have a recommended sequence of classes, including pre and co-requisite courses. Upon admission into a program your Program Advisor will provide you with a plan of study that will assist you in navigating which courses to take each semester.

Do I need to take SPED 7023 Foundations of Education before submitting my application to the M.Ed. in Special Education: Moderate or Severe Disabilities Initial Licensure program?

If you don’t have coursework in Education you’ll be required to take SPED 7023 which can be taken before applying or after admission into the program during the first semester of study. If you’re unsure if you’ve complete this requirement please contact the Graduate and Continuing Education Office at gce@fitchburgstate.edu.

How many credits may I take before applying?

Graduate students may complete 12 graduate credits within 1 year while preparing an application for admission.**

What courses can I take in the fall?

Students may start with the following courses:

• SPED 7023 Foundations of Education (Online)
  • SPED 7024 Understanding Disabilities and Diversity (Online)
  • SPED 8300 (Online)

Visit the course schedule/seats available list for more details.

What is your price per credit?

Graduate credits are currently priced at $377 per credit, which covers tuition and fees and includes the online program fee, books are a separate cost.***

Do I have to be in a program to register for a class?

No, students may register for up to 12 graduate credits without being in a program. If this is the first time you’re taking a class with us call the Registrar’s Office at 978-665-4196 to sign up over the phone. Full payment for the cost of the course is due at the time of registration.

I already have my initial licensure in special education can I get my professional licensure through the program if I already am teaching?

Fitchburg State offers a Master of Education in Special Education: Guided Studies Professional Concentration (Online/Hybrid) for students who hold an initial license in Moderate or Severe Disabilities. This is a 36 credit program designed to assist students in advancing their initial license to professional status.

Education is a second career for me and I’m going for my teaching license and Master’s in special ed (moderate disabilities) at the same time.  If the middle school level is my main goal, do you recommend following the preK-8 path or the 5-12 one?

Moderate Disabilities teachers are considered generalists and their license spans all content areas through their course preparation and practicum requirements. Under their license, they are qualified to teach all content areas to the moderate disabilities population. The 5 – 12 initial licensure track would be a good fit for someone looking to teach at the Middle School level.

Admissions

What is the application deadline?

Summer admission decision – apply no later than April 15
Fall admission decision – apply no later than August 1
Spring admission decision – apply no later than December 1

For students looking to apply for fall 2018 admission please contact gceadmissions@fitchburgstate.edu for more information.

If you’re applying to an initial licensure program, be sure to check the MTEL® website for score report release dates to ensure MTEL scores are received prior to the desired start date.

Students who pre-registered for today’s webinar need to submit an application online to receive the $50 application fee waiver.

Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?

Students applying to Special Education program should submit two professional references from someone who works in the field and one academic reference. This can include a supervisor or school principal. Check out our blog for the 5 people you should ask for recommendations.

Do I need to take the GRE or MAT?

No, the GRE or MAT are not required for an application to any graduate program at Fitchburg State.

How will I know if my application is complete?

Once you submit an application online, you may check the status through the application portal. We recommend you check the status once or twice a week as documents take 1 to 3 business days to process once received.

Financing:

How can I finance my graduate education?

Fitchburg State has several financing options including a payment plan for fall and spring courses, scholarships and graduate assistantships including positions in the Education Department. Visit our Financing Your Graduate Education website for more information.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid submit the FAFSA application. Our school code is 002184. You must be admitted into a Degree program to be awarded Financial Aid. Certificate and CAGS programs aren’t eligible for federal aid funding.

Do you offer a payment plan?

Yes, Fitchburg State offers a GCE payment plan for fall and spring Fitchburg courses. Please visit our website for more information.

Speak to an advisor
*Information based on the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure® (MTEL)
** Certain restrictions apply, please contact the Admissions Office for more information
***Price based on fall 2018 rates and subject to change.

Topics: Programs, Webinars