sgoce-blog-logo

Financial Aid FAQs to help with grad school

Posted by Kelly Norris on February 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM

Are you thinking about going to graduate school and wondering how you're going to pay for it? Costs for graduate school are a barrier to many students thinking about beginning or returning to school, but there are financial aid options available. Graduate and Continuing Education at Fitchburg State (GCE) offers scholarships, loans, payment plans, and graduate assistantships. Read more to learn about options that may be right for you!

payingforgradaschool

Do I need to be accepted to apply for financial aid?
No, you don’t need to be admitted into a graduate program to apply for financial aid.

What are the eligibility requirements for Financial Aid?

To qualify for financial aid, you must meet all of the following criteria:

• Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • Be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours per semester in a degree granting program;
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress in your program of study;
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan;
  • Not owe a refund on any federal financial aid grant to any institution;
  • Be registered for selective service, if required to do so;
  • Have a high school diploma or GED.

Can I receive financial aid if I’m not admitted to a program?
No, you must be admitted into a graduate program at Fitchburg State University to receive federal financial aid. You may learn details about the application process on our website.

When should I submit my Free Application for Federal Studen Aid (FAFSA)?
You may begin your FAFSA when you begin your application to the graduate program of your choice. See the FAFSA deadlines here. Our school code is 002184.

Do you offer payment plans?

Yes, Fitchburg State offers payment plans. Register early to stretch your payments over time!

Enroll in a payment plan

Do you offer scholarships for graduate students?
Yes. Just click on the "Apply for scholarships" button and search for the scholarships listed below. The deadline to apply is 2/25/18.

• Dean's Graduate Scholarship
  • Dorothy Holmes Toporeck Graduate Scholarship
  • Jack and Lou Leamy Scholarship

Apply for scholarships

Do you offer Graduate Assistantships?
If you're willing to work 20 hours a week for 43 weeks, we have a deal for you! Fitchburg State has a limited number of paid graduate assistant positions available for students pursuing their graduate degrees. Graduate assistants are paid $8,880/year AND have their tuition and fees waived for 15 credits during the year of their assistantship.

I have tuition assistance from my employer, whom do I speak with about my options?
Contact our Student Accounts office at 978-665-4126 for answers to your questions about tuition assistance.

Need more information? Visit Financing Your Education or contact the Financial Aid Office at 978-665-3156.