sgoce-blog-logo

Your questions answered  -  Online Master of Arts in History

Posted by Kelly Norris on July 21, 2020 at 5:13 PM

We know you're busy, but if you missed our webinar, no worries. We've got you covered! Here's the video of the recorded webinar and a list of all the questions asked. And if you still have questions, just click on the "Speak to an advisor" button at the end of this post and get all of your questions answered.

1. Do I have to take the GRE or MAT?
No, the GRE or MAT is no longer required.

2. When may I start the program and how many credits may I take before applying to the program?
Students may begin this program in the fall (September - December), spring (January – May), or summer (late May) semesters.

Graduate students may complete 12 graduate credits within 1 year while preparing an application for admission.

Students looking to take a Fall 2020 course may start with :
HIST 9030: Topics: Native American History (Online)

3. What is the average course load and how long does it take to complete the program?
The program is offered on a part-time basis. Students must complete 3 graduate credits per semester to meet federal financial aid requirements.
This program can be completed in about 3 years, however students have a total of 6 years from the first course they take in the program to graduate.

4. What is the price per credit for an out-of-state student?
Graduate credits are priced the same for in- or out-of-state students. Graduate credits for these programs are currently priced at $392.00 per credit, which covers tuition and fees, books are a separate cost*.

5. Do you offer a payment plan?
Yes, a payment plan is available for fall and spring GCE courses.

6. I’m new to online learning, how should I begin?
Watch a free online course demo to get a feel for online learning.

7. I’ve been out of school for a while, and don’t have access to a writing sample. Is there another topic or prompt I may choose from for the new writing sample?

Students who have been out of school for a while may write a new sample on an historical topic of interest to the student.

8. I've been out of school for a while; where can I get an academic letter of recommendation?
If you have been out of school for some time and are unable to get an academic reference please submit 3 professional references. Please review our recommendation blog for additional ideas for people to ask.

9. My bachelor's degree is not in history, can I still apply to the 100% Online Master of Arts in History degree?
While a major or minor in history is preferred, students with a bachelor degree in a different subject may apply.

10. What is the application deadline?
While Fitchburg State offers rolling admission, students should aim to complete their application by Mid-July/Early August to allow proper time for processing. Students who attended today’s webinar will receive the $50 application fee waiver if they apply to the Fall 2020 semester beginning in September 2020.

11. Are classes held through Zoom?

Instructors in the MA in History program use different virtual platforms to engage their students. This will include Zoom, as well as other platforms.

12. Is this a new degree program or just new to being 100% online?

The MA in History degree is not a new program to Fitchburg State. This program was established in 1993 and has been delivered online since 2018.