Top 10 Admissions FAQs for the Graduate Application Process

Posted by Kelly Norris on June 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM

You’ve overcome application anxiety and decided to apply to a graduate program at Fitchburg State University. Congratulations on taking the first step! Do you still have questions like "What are my next steps to complete my application?" and "Do my transcripts have to be official?"

BLOG_Admissions_FAQs

Here are the top 10 admissions FAQs for the graduate application process.

1. What tests do I need to take?

Tests are unique for each program, and some of our master of education programs no longer require the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). For information on which test you'll need to take, view our Graduate Admission Testing Requirements.

2. How do I prepare for the GRE/GMAT or MAT?

Preparing for your graduate testing is an important part of the admissions process.Visit the links below for practice tests, tutorials, and more!

3. What are the application requirements?

Application requirements vary by program. You can view the graduate admissions requirements for all of our graduate programs on our website.

4. Do I have to wait to take the required tests (GRE/GMAT/MAT/MTEL) before I submit my application?

No, you may submit your application while you are preparing to take your exam. Many students will apply for a semester that is months away. This gives them plenty of time to prepare and take the exam, and for Fitchburg State to receive your official scores.

5. Can I piece mail documents as I get them?

Yes, credentials are matched with applications as they are received in Admissions.

6. Do my transcripts have to be official?

Yes, all college/university transcripts must be official. Fitchburg State University cannot accept a faxed or emailed copy of a transcript.

7. Where should I mail my official documents?

Fitchburg State University
    Attn: Admissions
    160 Pearl Street

Fitchburg, MA 01420

8. Who should I be asking for recommendations?

Check out this blog post on the 5 People You Should Ask for Recommendations for suggestions on who to ask.

9. How long will it take to hear a decision?

Once all application requirements are fulfilled, it typically takes approximately 3 weeks for a decision to be made.

10. I’m applying for Financial Aid, when should I start my FAFSA?

You should apply for financial aid as early as possible once you've applied to a program. FAFSAs can be submitted beginning January 1st for the upcoming fall/spring semesters. Our priority date is March 1st for the upcoming academic year, so submit your FAFSA March 1st or earlier. Fitchburg State's school code is 002184.

Would you rather speak to someone and get some assistance?

shelby

Shelby Cota, Graduate Admission Counselor,
is ready to answer your questions.

Contact Admissions

Did you know Admissions, Financial Aid, Graduate and Continuing Education, the Registrar’s Office and Students Accounts are open Monday through Thursday until 6:00pm to assist you with all of your questions? Don’t miss your lunch break, call after work or stop by and get all of your questions answered in one convenient location.