Our Students: Molly Bicchieri, Special Education

Posted by Kimberly McCoy-Blauser on May 5, 2020 at 10:00 AM

Are you interested in Fitchburg State's special education programs? As part of the GCE Blog's "Our Students" series, we introduce Molly Bicchieri and thank her for sharing this post about her experience in the special education program.

Describe your overall experience in our Special Education program.Mollyb-1

I just finished my master’s in December. My experience with the program overall was just amazing. The professors were SO GOOD and Dr. Howard and Dr. Murray supported me the entire way. I could call them whenever, even though I was studying online, and that was key for me. I didn’t feel like just another student, I felt like I mattered. I am Fitchburg State through and through.

What do you plan to do with your degree?
I work right now at a substantially separate preschool. My hope is that my master’s will allow me to become a BCBA. I work with students who have a lot of challenges, and the new behavioral program at Fitchburg State will allow me to sit for the boards. This program really set me up for success in my current job.

Our Special Education Programs

Why did you choose the Special Education program at Fitchburg State?
I did one year at a private college in undergraduate. I transferred to Fitchburg State because it was closer and more affordable; and I heard great things about the special education programs. I loved the undergraduate program, the teachers were absolutely amazing, and I learned so much. I didn’t think twice about where I was going to get my master’s.

What made you want this degree at this point in your life/career?
I worked in a collaborative setting but moved to a public school setting and started a brand new program. I knew a lot about education, but really wanted to get my master’s to get more experience as a sub-separate teacher. I wanted to learn more to support my students who have a lot of different needs. I wanted a better understanding on how to assess my students and work with students who are non-verbal communicators. 

How have you contributed what you’ve learned to the work that you do?
Fitchburg State has helped me to be the teacher that I am today. The master’s program offered a lot of the behavioral support strategies and technicalities to support students with intensive special needs. It helped me to grow as an educator and in my fifth year of teaching, I feel confident and prepared for what each day brings.

List and/or explain other things you do beyond work, especially related to your passions, volunteer work, and leadership opportunities.

• I was in the Educational Honors Society KDP (Kappa Delta Pi) during my undergrad years. I recently helped and encouraged some current undergraduates over the summer to join KDP.
  • In my senior year as an undergraduate, my capstone project was being the co-director for the Central MA Special Olympics at Fitchburg State. In the last 2 years, I brought Special Olympics to my school (who never had it before). We even ran a Young Athletes program that had grown from 20 athletes to 95 athletes in the last two years.
  • Also when I was a student at Fitchburg State, I did the Falcon Friends program.
  • I am currently going for Yoga Teacher Training certification. I also do a yoga group in my classroom once per week to help the students be more mindful and calm.

Check out our special education programs and how one might be right for you. 

Our Special Education Programs

Topics: Programs, Our Students