sgoce-blog-logo

Our Students: Danielle Berthiaume, current student in the M.Ed. in Middle School, Math Licensure concentration

Posted by Kelly Norris on March 15, 2018 at 2:26 PM

The Education Department at Fitchburg State is proud to announce that the first cohort for the Middle School Education (Initial Licensure) degree has nearly completed a full year. Read our latest blog from student Danielle Berthiaume to find out more about  her experience at Fitchburg State.

Middle School student and her childrenTell us about yourself.

My name is Danielle Berthiaume, and I am so excited I will be finishing my third course in the next week here at Fitchburg State as a part of cohort one. I am married to a wonderfully supportive husband; I am also a stepmom of three children and mom of two lovely boys, ages five and five months. I keep myself busy on all fronts, as we enjoy camping and the beach in the summer. Fall and spring bring sports including swimming, soccer and dek hockey all for my son, as well as dek hockey for myself. I tend to overcommit and find myself stressed to the max, but with the help of my husband I have found success at this point in my life.

Tell us about your educational background so far.

I hold a Bachelor of Science in Business, and no sooner had I graduated, I realized sitting at a desk was not what I wanted to be doing in life. After the birth of my first son I jumped at the opportunity to change careers and start my track in education. I took the MTELs and professional development necessary to obtain a license, and five years later I earned a provisional license in general education grades 1-6, middle school math 5-8, and am working toward my moderate disabilities 5-12.

Why did you choose the M.Ed. in Middle School Education program at Fitchburg State?

I had been debating over the last year and a half what to do in my situation, as I must work toward my master degree and also student teach to progress from a provisional license to initial licensure. I explored many options including other colleges, a non-licensure graduate program, and class measures licensure program, but none of these options really worked for me. 

Then I came across Fitchburg State's new program and it was exactly what I needed! I weighed the finances, and in the end, this program fit all the criteria without any additional costs. I applied, was accepted, and I couldn’t be happier.

What do you like about the program?

At nine months pregnant I met with Chair of the Middle School Education Program Dr. William Cortezia for the first time and explained my concerns about possibly missing one of the face-to-face classes. He was amazingly accommodating and helpful.

After now going through three seven-week courses, one at a time with the same people, I am seeing the comradery building among us and it’s awesome. We only met twice during our seven weeks and although it doesn’t seem to be enough, we managed to squeak out as much work as possible. Each class has been great, the professors are amazing and open to making changes if too many of us are struggling. They're more than happy to help in any way. We are cohort one and leading the way. With our professors’ full support we are plugging away and the time is flying.

Why should students choose Fitchburg State for their graduate education?   What advice do you have for working adult students looking to go back to school?

This program is by far the best choice for anyone needing initial licensure and a  master’s degree in middle school education. Dr. Cortezia is amazing and has been so supportive of everyone. He takes time out of his weekend to come to each of our classes to check in with the students, as well as the professors. I have never felt so comfortable and understood in any level of education as I have this past year with the master’s program.

I encourage anyone on the fence or interested in checking out this program; don’t waste another minute as you will be welcomed with open arms into the next cohort under Dr. Cortezia’s caring, watchful eye along with his team of outstanding, hand-picked professors.

Want to learn more about our middle school education program? Register for our upcoming webinar.

Register for our Middle School Webinar

Topics: Our Students, Webinars