Our Faculty: Sarah Blood, Nursing

Posted by Kelly Norris on March 11, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Are you interested in Fitchburg State's LPN to BSN or RN to BSN programs? As part of the GCE blog's "Our Faculty" series, we introduce Sarah Blood, Coordinator of the LPN to BS in Nursing Bridge program and the Online LPN to BS in Nursing program.  Sarah_1.jpg

What is your educational background, and what certifications do you have relevant to your program?

I earned a BSN from Fitchburg State in 2005 and an MS in Nursing Education from Rivier University in 2014, and I'm currently enrolled in a post-master program at Rivier University for Family NP. Future plans include taking my Certified Nurse Educator exam once I finish my post-masters.

What does your position entail? How do you work with LPN to BS in Nursing Bridge and RN to BSN students?

My position has multiple roles with the first responsibility including recruiting prospective LPN and RN students into the program. I am also responsible for advising students when deciding which courses they should be registering for. I am also responsible for administering the NACE exams to the LPN students who are preparing to apply to the program. Lastly with both programs, I'm here to provide support to our students and I want them to know I am always here for them if they have a question or just need to talk.

What career opportunities are available to students who complete the LPN to BS in Nursing Bridge and RN to BSN programs?

Nursing is such a wonderful profession with many different avenues to pursue. Most students believe the only jobs available for nurses include floor nursing or working in a physician's office, and this isn’t true. As a bachelors prepared nurse there are many opportunities for nurses. Some of those opportunities include public health nursing, nursing informatics, research, legal nurse consultant and multiple leadership roles within administration. After finishing their BSN, students are then able to continue on to their masters, where they can become educators or nurse practioners.

nurse_-_RN

Is there any advice that you normally provide to prospective students?

Becoming a nurse was one of the most difficult tasks I encountered as a young adult. While it requires a lot of personal devotion and dedication to the program, the end result is so rewarding making all those long hours of studying well worth the effort.

What do you love about Fitchburg State and/or why would you recommend Fitchburg State to another nurse?

One of the reasons I chose Fitchburg State was because of its location and well-known nursing programs. I feel Fitchburg is centrally located in relation to larger hospitals (where I was fortunate to attend clinical). When I look back on my education at Fitchburg State I feel I received an exceptional education with professors who were knowledgeable and very approachable. They made it known that they were here for us and only wanted to see us succeed. During my last semester as a student I was able to do my practicum in Boston at Beth Israel Deaconess and I feel that experience set me up for a successful future.

As an alumna of Fitchburg State, what is the reason you wanted to return to your alma mater for the coordinator position?

When I read about this position, I knew it would be perfect for me. I am still young in my career and very eager to learn about all the different roles/jobs that go into creating a successful nursing program. One of the greatest parts of my job is trying to recruit potential students into the program. Being an alumna gives me an advantage in this aspect of my job because I'm able to boast about our wonderful program from experience!
Register for an Information Session If you're interested in either our LPN to BS in Nursing Bridge program or our online RN to BS in Nursing program join us for our next information session. Speak directly with Sarah and get all of your questions answered. 

Topics: Our Faculty